The Benefits of NZSTA Membership
NZSTA provides a number of services which are of direct benefit to member boards of trustees, and these are outlined below. Membership of NZSTA is by annual subscription, please click on the following link for a copy of our membership booklet.
Apart from specific benefits, it is important to remember that members also directly benefit from being a critical part of a strong, national organisation which gets its strength from a large collective membership.
It is this collective strength which enables NZSTA to be a key part of all important education-related decisions, and in national policy formulation. It is also this collective power of membership which allows NZSTA to seek, obtain and operate “free to board” contracted services, which benefit members and non-members alike.
Our “member only” services include:
- Trustees of member boards being able to access free professional development during 2013 (the NZSTA National Board has made $70,000 worth of free professional development available to member boards for 2013)
- NZSTA’s monthly national publication STAnews, which will challenge boards and principals thinking on the critical issues of highly effective governance/management and student achievement
- The NZSTA Trustee Handbook (“The Black Book” – a huge resource containing all the legislation governing boards of trustees, governance and industrial information). Note: this publication largely been reviewed/updated in 2012, and the new version will only be made available to member boards. The remainder of the publication will be distributed to member boards in early 2013. An enhanced web-search version is to be released to member boards this year
- NZSTA regional newsletters, published each term
- Attendance at NZSTA regionally organised functions and events, cluster meetings, workshops and special issue meetings
- Membership of a service organisation whose executive can advocate on your behalf at local and national levels
- The ability to serve on the NZSTA regional executive which represents local boards on reference groups and advocates on local issues at national level
- Access to the assistance and support of the full-time NZSTA Regional Coordinator for your Region
- Member-only resources and publications (e.g. Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992 – Guidelines for Boards of Trustees)
- Our booklet Guide to Trusteeship - a handy booklet which summarises good governance practices
- The NZSTA President’s Membership memos addressing current trusteeship issues, and including feedback opportunities on important trustee related issues
- Access to the “Member Only” areas on our website (via member board logon ID and password)
- A 30% reduction in registration fees to attend our annual conferences, or the early bird registration fee
- A reduced cost access to an extensive programme of PD for trustees (and an increasing number of principals) available as part of the NZSTA conference
- Participation at our annual general meetings held during the NZSTA Annual Conference
- Where free to member board PD is unavailable, reduced rates for board professional development
- Discount on employer liability insurance excess through NZSTA’s partnership with brokers Crombie Lockwood
- A 5% discount on copyright licensing fees
- Up to a 25% saving on a Readynet emergency preparedness subscription
- The ability to apply for a Crombie Lockwood/Vero scholarship (of up to $4,000 value) - click on the following link to apply for a scholarship (for further information contact Bev Dixon)
- Discounts on purchases made through GSB Supplycorp
- Discounts on goods and services purchased from providers appearing in the NZSTA Resource Annual publication
- Student trustees of Member Boards may apply for a subsidy on the Spirit of Adventure voyages organised by NZSTA, which include up to 10 hours governance training, and attendance at leadership days.
Board Chairs may apply for a subsidised 3-day weekend “Governance Voyage” on the Spirit of Adventure.
To see a brief outline of Services offered by NZSTA to all boards click here. To see information on the specific NZSTA Services please click here
Join Now by contacting our Membership Officer