Benefits of NZSTA Membership
NZSTA offers a number of services that are only available to member boards.
Members also directly benefit from being a critical part of a strong, national organisation which gets its strength from a large collective membership. It is this collective power which enables NZSTA to be a vital part of all relevant education related decisions and in national policy formulation. It is NZSTA’s strong membership base that allows NZSTA to seek and obtain its "free to board" contracted services.
Membership of NZSTA is open to school boards of trustees by annual subscription, payable by 31 March each year. A proforma invoice is forwarded to all school boards, along with an open letter to all trustees in November each year.
- If your board is not a current NZSTA member, enquire about joining NZSTA now.
With a circulation close to 12,000 copies and ten issues annually (January/February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November/December), NZSTA's monthly national publication STAnews (login access only) is NZSTA's flagship publication. Each issue contains relevant and informative articles to challenge boards' and principals' thinking on critical issues alongside analysis and commentary on important sector issues.
NZSTA membership memos (login access only) provide analysis and commentary for member boards on events, initiatives and working parties that NZSTA is involved with such as the Ministerial Cross-Sector Forum, proposed changes to legislation and the government Budget allocations for education.
NZSTA membership memos are an important mechanism for directly seeking the views of NZSTA member boards. Because of NZSTA’s active role in advocating for boards of trustees, member boards are sometimes advised of issues and asked for preliminary feedback long before they come to public attention.
NZSTA’s membership memos complement the updates on more operational matters covered in NZSTA’s all-school memos.
Member boards in each NZSTA region receive an NZSTA regional newsletter(login access only), published each term in collaboration with the chairperson of the NZSTA Regional Executive.
Regional newsletters are tailored to each region and provide member boards in the region with information about
- Membership activities scheduled for the region by the Regional Executive, such as hui, breakfast meetings or networking days
- Professional development and other NZSTA services or events scheduled for the region through NZSTA National Office (including the Office of the President)
- Regional events and activities organised by other organisations such as the Ministry of Education that may be of interest to trustees
- Feedback on discussions between the President and the Regional Executive on behalf of member boards in the region
- Contact information for members of the relevant NZSTA Regional Executive
- Contact information for the local NZSTA Hub.
Regional membership activities
Attendance at NZSTA regionally organised functions and events.
NZSTA’s advocacy function is led by the President on behalf of NZSTA member boards and supported by Regional Executives and a full-time Policy Adviser based in the Office of the President. This advocacy goes beyond the day-to-day collaboration with the Ministry and other sector groups on the implementation of operational policies and initiatives that is part of our effective delivery of services under the Ministry contract.
NZSTA’s advocacy for member boards includes
- analysis and commentary on developments and initiatives in the New Zealand education sector
- analysis and commentary on other developments and initiatives that may have an impact of the board’s role (e.g. child protection, employment legislation, changes to resource management, taxation, or audit requirements)
- analysis and commentary on international developments and initiatives relating to education, governance, or other aspects of the board’s role
- formal submissions and appearance before Select Committee
- regular liaison and networking with other sector leaders, government ministers and opposition spokespersons and government officials
- participation in Sector Leaders’ Group and Ministerial Cross-Sector Forum
All trustees who currently serve on an NZSTA member board are eligible to stand for election to their NZSTA regional executive, the NZSTA governing board or as president.
Full website access
Access to the member-only areas of our website (requires login ID and password).
NZSTA’s annual national conference is our premier membership event with 54 professional development seminars, 3 keynote speakers and over 900 school trustees attending from around the country. Attendance is limited to trustees who are currently serving on an NZSTA member board.
NZSTA Annual General Meeting (AGM)
The NZSTA Annual General meeting is your board’s best opportunity to discuss important issues directly with the NZSTA President and Board, and other NZSTA member boards.
It also provides the opportunity for your board to hold NZSTA officeholders to account for the running of the Association during the previous twelve months, by way of the NZSTA Annual Report which is presented at the AGM each year.
Membership of NZSTA entitles your board to discounts on
- employer liability insurance accessed through NZSTA's partnership with brokers Crombie Lockwood
- copyright licensing fees
- purchases made through the n3 business network
- goods and services purchased from providers appearing in the NZSTA Resource Annual, distributed to member boards annually.
Trustee Study Awards
All trustees who currently serve on an NZSTA member board are eligible to apply for an NZSTA Trustee Study Award, sponsored by Crombie Lockwood and Vero Liability. Five awards are available each year, with a combined value of $20,000. NZSTA Trustee Study Awards are available in July each year. For further information please contact the Executive Assistant)