These documents will assist schools with the recruitment, selection and appointment of employees. To ensure your documents comply with the latest legislation, always use the latest version from our website each time.
The COVID-19 Public Health Response (Vaccinations) Order 2021 no longer has provisions that apply to the education sector. At this time, schools no longer need to request vaccination information or consider vaccination status as part of the appointment process.
We are working to update our letter suite to remove mention to vaccinations.
In the meantime, you can remove the section entitled COVID-19 Public Health Response (Vaccinations) Order 2021and reference to vaccinations in the acceptance box.
Other than these two amendments, the letter suite is still fit for purpose and requires no additional changes.
Letters of Offer of Employment
All schools must have in their records for each employee a letter of offer of employment, a job description and for non-union members an Individual Employment Agreement (IEA).
Templates for permanent offers of employment:
Templates for fixed term offers of employment:
All template letters for fixed term offers of employment can be accessed HERE.
When giving non-union members their promulgated IEA and letter of offer, please also provide a copy of the below document. It provides an explanation of the process.
- Letters for appointing employees (internal appointment) to act up in the principal role can be found HERE.
- Letters for appointing relief principals (external appointment) can be found HERE.
- Higher duties confirmation[DOCX 33.99 KB]
Make sure you use a standard application form for all appointments to ensure that the school meets the requirements of the Children's Act 2014.
The resources below will help with shortlisting, interviewing, reference checking and decision-making. For forms and templates specific to a principal appointment, please refer to our principal appointment page.
- Staff recruitment checklist[DOCX 43.54 KB]
- Shortlisting matrix[DOCX 43.54 KB]
- Interview matrix[DOCX 32.57 KB]
- Reference checking matrix[DOCX 33.38 KB]
- Appointment decision matrix[DOCX 26.60 KB]
All employees must be provided with a job description and any changes of duties should be discussed with the staff and then recorded. Please contact our employment Advisory & Support Centre for advice.
- Principals[DOCX 25.64 KB]
- Deputy Principal or Assistant Principal[DOCX 24.64 KB]
- Head of Department [DOCX 25.76 KB]
- Team Leader[DOCX 25.78 KB]
- Teachers[DOCX 24.38 KB]
- Support Staff[DOCX 25.95 KB]
- Caretakers[DOCX 26.57 KB]
- Cleaners[DOCX 26.12 KB]
Community of Learning – Kāhui Ako Templates
- Templates and forms for Community of Learning – Kāhui Ako recruitment are available here [DOCX 75.49 KB]
Employees not covered by a Collective Agreement
Our resources for employees not covered by a Collective Agreement are currently being reviewed and updated. We will upload these here as soon as possible. In the meantime, please call our Advisory and Support Centre on 0800 782 435, option 2 for support with these appointments.
Our resources for casual employees are currently being reviewed and updated. We will upload these here as soon as possible. In the meantime, please call our Advisory and Support Centre on 0800 782 435, option 2 for support with these appointments.
Contract for services
Our resources for contacted services are currently being reviewed and updated. We will upload these here as soon as possible. In the meantime, please call our Advisory and Support Centre on 0800 782 435, option 2 for support with these appointments.