If a strike action occurs, boards must:
- Ensure the safety of their students
- Keep their schools
- open for instruction if at all possible; or otherwise
- use the strike closure power under the provisions of s65A(2A) of the Education Act 1989 (whereby the school may be open for supervision only)
- Notify the Secretary for Education ("the Secretary") of any strike details requested, and
- Ensure that staff who participate in strikes are not paid while on strike.
In this material we have tried to go through what is likely to occur and provide some answers to questions you may have of the issues/situations that may arise. If we haven't covered your concerns in the first instance give your Employment Adviser 0800 782 435 (option 2) a call.