Personal Files and Record Keeping
What do we have to do?
- Personal files must be set up upon new appointment and regularly updated. NZSTA has provided three templates which should be included in all personal files:
- Personal File Checklist Cover Sheet: This is a comprehensive list of what should be included in an employee’s personal file
- Summary of Employment Details: This provides a summary of employment details (contractual, leave, wages) for the employee
- Personal Details Form: This includes personal information about the employee’s contact information including emergency contacts and medical information
- Secondary principal leave should be recorded at the school level. 52 week support staff annual leave should be recorded in Novopay online.
- Privacy of these files must be ensured. They should be kept securely locked with access available only to the employer or those with the delegated authority within the school to manage the files.
- Access must be granted to those who are entitled to see the files:
- The employee if they ask to see their own file
- The employee’s authorised representative, upon the employee’s request
- MBIE labour inspectors and immigration officers upon request
- Other agencies which may request access (ERO, MoE…)
Why do we need to keep personal files?
- Statutory requirements: The Employment Relations Act (s. 130) and Holidays Act (s.81) require employers to keep wage, time, holiday and leave records. If leave records are booked into Novopay Online, the Holidays Act requirements for leave records are met for teachers and non-teaching staff.
- Being a good employer: accurate records ensure all employees are treated fairly and receive their correct pay, holiday and leave entitlements.
- Performance management: if any issues arise with employee performance , clear job descriptions, annual performance review/appraisal records and documentation of any performance improvement processes are essential
How long do we need to keep personal files?
Employee personal files must be kept for seven years.
Where can we find more information?
NZSTA: leave management
Novopay: Legal requirements for payroll records (includes privacy requirements)
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment: Keeping accurate records
If you need further information, please contact Employment Advisory & Support Centre on 0800 782 435 (Option 2)