Some examples of a genuine reason on reasonable grounds are:
- When external funding (not MoE) is provided for a specified period with no guarantee of renewal.
- To provide teacher aide assistance to a specific child while that child is at the school and continues to attract funding (e.g. ORS) and the date of the child leaving is unknown.
- That the Board has a specific project which may have a defined timeline and the work is associated with that project, e.g. installing a computer network.
- The board requires sufficient time to follow due process to make a permanent appointment.
- The Board needs someone to provide temporary cover for a person on leave, e.g. parental leave, study leave.
The NZSTA template letters of offer also provide some examples. If you are unsure whether a reason for a fixed term agreement is based on genuine and reasonable grounds and you would like further advice, please contact our Advisory and Support Centre on 0800 782 435 (Option 2).