The most important task a board will undertake is to select and appoint a new principal. The principal, as the leader of learning, and day to day manager of the school will enact the board’s strategic direction. The board will need to be proactive and well-informed to run an effective appointment process. By following an effective appointment process, the board can ensure it has appointed the most suitable person for the role.
To get started learning more about the board’s responsibilities we recommend the chair or delegate:
- complete the online principal appointment e-learning module
- send the principal appointment module link and the below documents to the board as preparation for the next meeting
- Overview: Effective Principal Appointment Processes
- Principal Appointment Checklist
- Appointing a Primary School Principal
- Principal Appointment Guidelines
- contact your NZSTA Employment Adviser
After completing the module and reading the above guides, additional information and templates are available on Advice, Forms and Templates for Appointing Employees.