Governance Internal Evaluation Tool (IET)
NZSTA has developed an easy to use online tool to help boards identify areas where they need to improve their governance practice. As the board’s primary focus is the ongoing improvement of student achievement, the tool uses a set of criteria for identifying the strengths and areas for development in governance.
Overview of the Internal Evaluation Tool (IET) (pdf)
Using the tool
The tool consists of an online survey which is completed by groups determined by the board within the school community. The automatically collated responses are compiled into a report for the board to review and decide on actions required.
The survey is filled out anonymously, and a unique survey address is created, and password protected by the user ensuring the results of individual boards cannot be shared unless the board gives permission.
Why use the tool?
This internal evaluation tool will help a board to determine:
- Where are we at now?
- What does integrated practice (the practice that is embedded in everything that we do) look like?
- What are our next steps?
- What progress have we made?
It has been designed for use in a variety of situations including;
- Boards of trustees to use themselves as part of their regular internal evaluation process
- An external facilitator to work through with the board and develop a professional development action plan
- An external provider to use as part of a needs assessment to determine areas requiring professional development and support.
Where to get more information and assistance
Please contact the programme coordinator in your region:
Or to be put through to them via the phone 0800 782 435 (option3)
If you wish to register to use the tool, please complete the IET application form and send to the Programme Coordinator.