Hautū - Māori cultural responsiveness self review tool for boards of trustees
This resource supports boards of trustees to meet their accountabilities by reviewing cultural responsiveness in their school. A pdf version and word version are available for download. There are also templates available for Whanau Education Plan and Whanau Education Action Planner along with NCEA Student Planner. These may be useful supporting documents.
Hautū is designed to be flexible and to help boards assess, plan and increase their cultural responsiveness no matter what level they are at now. Hautū aligns with the four key areas of governance; Board leadership, representation, accountability and employer roles.
By strengthening and fulfilling their roles effectively as trustees, boards will deliver stronger governance. Working with Hautū also supports boards to meaningfully implement Ka Hikitia - Accelerating Success 2013-2017 within their work and to make decisions that support Māori learners to enjoy and achieve education success, as Māori.
Boards have a responsibility to:
- set future directions for successful learning of Māori students
- be accountable for the performance of Māori student achievement
- ensure Māori stakeholders in their community are represented in governance, planning and decision making
- ensure their school is a good employer by supporting school staff to teach and support Māori students effectively.
While Hautū is aimed at English medium schools it can be used by all school boards.
Each board of trustee chairperson will receive a hard copy of Hautū. An electronic version is available.
NZSTA offers Hautu - Maori cultural responsiveness self review tool for Boards of Trustees workshops as part of our ongoing trustee professional development programme, or contact the Governance Advisory and Support Centre to arrange a Hautu cluster workshop for schools in your local area.
The Learning Objectives for trustees who attend the workshops are;
- A good understanding of Ka Hikitia – Accelerating Success 2013-2017 and the importance of enjoying and achieving education success as Māori
- Increased awareness regarding cultural responsiveness in relation to Māori students, parents, whānau and community
- Increased awareness and understanding of their accountability for strengthening Māori student achievement
- A good understanding of how to use Hautū to determine the cultural responsiveness of their board and school.
Contact the coordinator governance on 0800 782 435 (option 3) if you need further professional development assistance.